LOOKING FOR BOARD MEMBERS!
Are you interested in the environment and empowering communities? Then we want you on our team!
Green Teams of Canada is an environmental community engagement charity with great potential to grow with the right leadership. We inspire stewardship of nature by connecting diverse individuals through hands-on educational environmental activities. Our vision is Engaged communities that care for nature. Some of our activities include invasive plant removals, planting of native plants and trees, picking up litter and volunteering at non-profit educational farms. Our objectives are:
- Engage young Canadians in tangible environmental actions in their communities
- Raise awareness of environmental issues through hands-on education
- Foster a sense of empowerment, pride, community and belonging
- Restore ecosystems and increase biodiversity
We are looking for board members with backgrounds in:
- Fundraising: Provide guidance in a fundraising plan, be an ambassador by helping us connect to funders and support staff in implementing the fundraising plan
- Board Chair: Previous experience on a non-profit/charity board required in order to provide structure and guidance on chairing meetings, board governance, programming, fundraising, providing oversight of the Executive Director, succession planning, etc.
- HR: Provide guidance, build tools and participate in tasks related to Employment Standards and HR best practices.
- Marketing Communications/Public Relations: Provide advice, build tools and participate in activities relating to marketing, communications, or public relations, such as the development of marketing materials, graphic software, website administration, implementation of social media/digital strategies, etc.
- Financial: experience in accounting and finance. Can analyze statements, assess financial viability, oversee budgets, contribute to financial planning
If you have a real passion for the work we do, have time and skill sets you’d like to contribute not listed above, consider applying as well!
- Prepare for and attend board meetings every two months in person for 3 hours in Vancouver (can attend electronically if not in Vancouver) and in the month in between for 1.5 hrs over Skype/phone
- Time commitment: 5-10 hours a month on average (not including the meetings)
Deadline and application instructions
Please send us:
- Your resume
- A cover letter describing a) why you are attracted to the mission of our org b) what interests you most about being on our board and c) any previous experience that can help you be an effective board member
- Build our media and outreach contact database
- Post green team activities on online calendars
- Contact media with details about upcoming activities
- Run a green team table at festivals and environmental events
- Provide Communications Plan input
- Post on our social media accounts
- Build our funder database
- Provide Fundraising Plan input
- Research new funding avenues
- Create and do presentations at schools about the importance of taking care of our environment
- Provide input on green team educational materials
- Help run green team activities (unpack and pack green team activity supplies, supervise, sign participants in, educate about invasive species identification and removal techniques and native specie planting)
- Take photos of volunteers in action
- Take before and after photos at green team activities
We are flexible regarding time commitment for each opportunity
If you have the required skill set and can bring time and humour for a board position or other volunteer positions, please send your resume to Lyda@GreenTeamsCanada.ca