Nelson Creek July 7, 2019
On July 7, 2019, Lower Mainland Green Team volunteers rescued the riparian area of Nelson Creek from Himalayan Blackberry! It was extremely hard work digging out the roots – it takes a lot of patience and persistence. Everyone did a fantastic job – it was especially inspiring to see parents and kids working together and rocking it!
Special thanks to Suzie and Doug, our superstar LMGT volunteer leaders. Thank you for staying to help packing up all the equipment at the end!
Thank you to all the volunteers for their efforts: James, Tatjana, Katarina, Serena, Gail, Yiyue, Danielle, Alicia, Kathy, Betty, Barbara, Tiernan, William, Santana, Benjamin, Brian, Art, Benjamin, Heather, James, Betty, Roham, Wei, Turiga, and Letitzia. You made a difference!
- 25 volunteers participated and contributed 73 hours
- We removed a big pile of Himalayan Blackberry crowns, about 11 cubic metres and a few large Himalayan Balsam (Policeman’s Helmet) plants
- We removed about 40 pounds of garbage – including a lighter and a bunch of old rusted metal
- We enjoyed the cool day and a little bit of rain to keep us refreshed
- Parent-child teams worked hard together to make a difference
- Brian cycled to the event from north Burnaby!
Check out all the event photos by clicking here.